Whether your Cavoodle sports a curly, fleece, or straight coat; brushing is essential to keep knots, tangles, and mats at bay.
And working with a proper brush can be a gamechanger. Not just for your Cavoodle but for you, the groomer too.
Besides, you want to make the process comfortable for your dog, and you want to minimize the amount of time brushing, don’t you?
But then arises the question; what brush is best to buy?
What style does the brush need to be for the Cavoodles particular coat, and then what brand is best in this category?
Having researched the market extensively, I would like to share with you the best brushes currently available. These will make the entire grooming process easier.
Short of time, here is the recommended brush for your Cavoodle and why:
Enjoy stress-free grooming sessions with your Cavoodle with PetEd’s tug-resistant design, ensuring you and your dog build a trusting bond and enjoy grooming sessions that they actually want (and not run away in fear every time you get the brush!)
- Non-pulling and tug-resistant, so you can brush your dog with confidence and ease, which means you’ll be sure to never cause pain to your dog or damage your dog’s coat again.
- Massaging and gentle, so your dog can enjoy being brushed and fussed, which means you will better bond with your dog and no longer have to fight with them come brushing time. They’ll come to you!
- Fine, angled bristles, so you can access and groom all parts of your dog’s coat effortlessly to remove dirt, debris, and tangles to ensure it looks clean, shiny, and healthy, which means you can walk your dog with pride and never be embarrassed about their coat condition again.
- Hair containing, so loose hair isn’t left flying or left around the room, which means a more hygienic and comfortable home for you to enjoy.
- Large head surface area, so you can collect more hair per brush, which means less time cleaning and a more efficient grooming session
- One-button automatic cleaning functionality, so you can dispose of shed hair effortlessly, which means less time cleaning up and more time doing the things that matter most to you.
- Practical size and weight, so you can comfortably hold, use, store, and take it with you on the go, which means you will be free to brush your dog’s coat regardless of where you are.
- Retractable pins, so you can ensure no damage is done when not in use, which means the brush is much more durable and will last you longer.
- Purposely designed for dogs with curly coats, so you can be confident on even the most matted of coats. Great for doodle and poodle hybrid dogs, such as your Cavoodle!
The Best Brushes For Cavoodles
PetEd Slicker Brush
My recommended and standout pick is my very own PetEd Slicker Brush.
I am self-promoting, I am fully aware.
But here is why I think you need it.
I extensively researched the market, spoke with dozens of suppliers and tested countless brushes to land on this particular one.
I was looking for a brush that could overcome the shortcomings of many others on the market at the time.
Below is me physically brushing my dog, Bailey, with it…
It’s perfect for Cavoodle and/or any other poodle hybrid breed.
It’s designed with their hair and coat in mind.
Not only is brushing a breeze, running through a coat safely without any tugging, but it also collects any loose hair while you go.
You can then easily deposit the collected hair straight into a bin with the click of a button, and a simple swipe.
It’s a great weight, comfortable to hold and durable brursh too.
It’s what I use on my dog Bailey, and it’s I can personally attest to its effectiveness.
- Safe, Gentle, and Stress-Free Grooming: Non-pulling and tug-resistant so you can brush your dog with confidence and ease, your dog can enjoy being brushed and fussed, you will never have to fight come brushing time, and you never feel guilty causing pain to your dog, or damaging their coat ever again. Finally build a trusting bond.
- Effective, Thorough, and Complete Coat Care: With fine angled bristles, so you can access and groom all parts of your dog's coat effortlessly to remove dirt, debris, and tangles to ensure it looks clean, shiny, and healthy, which means you can walk your dog with pride and never be embarrassed about their coat condition again.
- Hugely Time-Saving: With hair-containing features (so loose hair isn’t left flying or left around the room), a large surface head area and one-button automatic cleaning functionality, which means less time cleaning and more time for you to do what you enjoy most.
- Practical, Durable, and Dependable: With retracting pins, a sturdy yet lightweight design, and a built with premium materials, so you can comfortably hold, use, store, and take with you on the go. You will be free to brush your dog's coat regardless of where you are, and no damage is done when not in use, which means the brush is much more durable and will last you longer.
- Purposefully Designed For Dog & Owner: Created with curly coats in mind, you can be confident regardless of coat type/condition. Ideal for doodle and poodle hybrid dogs, including: Cockapoos, Cavoodles, Maltipoos, Bernedoodles, Goldendoodles, Shih Poos, etc.
PAKEWAY Slicker Grooming Brush
The PAKEWAY Slicker Grooming Brush is another alternative option, according to other customers on Amazon.
This brush is mostly designed for use on cats, though can also be used effectively on the Cavoodle breed.
- 💗【Cat Brush】Cat brushes for indoor cats are made of high quality stainless steel bristles, soft needles, long-term use without deformation; Needle comb 60 degrees slightly tilted for effective hair collection, massage to protect your cat's skin; can be used for all periods of short / long hair animals, enjoy the fun and relaxation for your beloved pet when combing hair.
- 🗲【Easy and Safe】Cat dog grooming brush head with soft rubber cap to care for pet skin, push plate press, not stuck hair, one key to easily remove hair; plastic material handle, one-handed comfortable operation, non-slip grip feeling, it is stronger, ergonomic structure design combing hair more effort; prevent static electricity design, take care of you and your pet's feelings.
- ➜【Convenient and Quick】Cat comb features self-cleaning function, after combing the hair for your pet, just press the button, the hair will shrink back into the brush, very simple to remove all the hair on the brush, effectively relieve easy knotting, hair, remove floating hair, fluffy open knots and other problems.
- 💦【Easy to Clean】Cat brush with release button is washable all over, easy and convenient, clean and hygienic. Clean and soft, warm and comfortable colors, can be easily integrated into different home environments, convenient storage.
- 🎁【Warm and Comfortable】Cat Grooming Brush comfortable massage, non-slip button, you can easily collect hair, you and your beloved pet are in need of a warm moment of hair combing, your warm and comfortable home also needs a clean and hygienic environment. We also provide you with professional pre-sales and after-sales services. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Coastal Pet Slicker Brush
My final recommendation is the Coastal Pet Slicker Brush.
While it’s large, a little clunky and more expensive, it does work very well and customers are generally satisfied after purchase.
- Self-Cleaning Dog Brush: Remove hair from the retractable wire brush pins with a push of a button
- Dog Brush for Shedding: Stainless steel pins reduce dog shedding to keep your dog and house clean
- Gentle Cleaning: Stainless steel pins ensure that your dog grooming kit doesn't irritate the skin
- Grooming Comb: This brush for short or long hair has a comfort-grip handle for a sure grip
- Coastal Pet Cares: We design and deliver quality products that people trust for the pets they love
What Type Of Brush Is Best For Cavoodles?
There are various different types of brushes available on the market for dogs. This includes Rakes, Bristle Brushes and Pin Brushes. However, due to the type of coat a Cavoodle has, a Slicker Brush is considered best.
Slicker brushes are designed with fine, short wires that sit close together on a flat surface.
These brushes are meant for use on dogs with longer coats, particularly those with curls that are prone to matting.
Nevertheless, you need to be especially careful when you brush a Cavoodle, and even when using a slicker brush.
If too much pressure or force is applied, it can cause your dog discomfort and pain. Especially if mats have already started to develop.
For the face, a stainless steel comb can also be used – especially for use around the mouth.
Although a slicker brush can still be used on this area, so long as caution is exercised.
How Do You Brush A Cavoodle?
To brush a Cavoodle you will need to slowly and gently brush upward and toward your dog, focusing on each body area separately.
Starting with the legs, you will want to brush your dog through the hair, being careful not to brush too roughly through any knots or tangles.
If you do encounter a knot/tangle, then isolate it from the rest of the coat and brush through it until it naturally breaks loose.
Once you have finished both legs, move onto the tummy area, the back, and then onto the face.
Be careful on the face, but be sure to remove any potential food debris that has collected around the mouth.
Keeping your Cavoodle still will make the process much easier.
You can do this by making the environment comfortable, holding them carefully, and even reserving any brushing too late in the day when they are tired and following a full day.
At the same time, be sure to provide plenty of treats throughout.
Make sure the brushing experience is always positive! This will make a lot of difference in getting your dog into a comfortable position to brush.
And brush them often. As we will now take a closer look at:
How Often Should You Brush A Cavoodle?
It is recommended to brush a dog 2-3x per week, although if the coat is particularly long, daily may be preferable.
You can always inspect and monitor your dogs coat; the more mats, knot or tangles you find, the more you need to brush them.
You should find that with more regular brushing, the process takes less time.
The coat will look better, your dog will be more comfortable and your dog will likely smell a lot better too!
In fact, you should also find that the coat grows out more healthily and will be easier for the groomer when it is time for cutting!
The best thing you can do is to begin brushing your Cavoodle from the time that they are a young pup.
Doing this regularly, often, and making it a positive experience will make your dog much more enthusiastic for brushing.
It makes the whole process much easier, believe me!
Getting a good brush for your dog does not have to be difficult. But it certainly can be with all the various styles, options and brands on the market.
If you leave here with anything today, let it be this.
A slicker brush is the kind of brush you will need for your Cavoodle.
And when it comes to the best slicker brush; well I’ve found the best out there for you 👇
I am an experienced pet owner with decades of experience owning a number of different pets, from traditional pets like dogs and cats, to the more exotic like reptiles and rodents. I currently own a Cockapoo (pictured) called Bailey. I am also the main writer and chief editor here at Pet Educate; a site dedicated to sharing evidence-based insights and guidance, based on my vast pet ownership knowledge, experience, and extensive research.