Part and parcel of Maltipoo ownership is regular brushing and grooming; they do not shed their coats, after all.
So, it’s important that you invest in a high-quality brush.
One that will enable you to keep your dogs coat in optimal condition – preventing any matting or tangles along the way.
Besides, getting the right brush will not only be more comfortable for your dog, but it will also make the entire process easier for you, too.
But with many brushes out there and available on the market, it can be difficult to find the right one.
There are so many types of dog brushes. Truth is, its just not that simple.
Appreciating the challenges, I spent some time researching the best brushes for this particular hybrid breed.
I’d like to share with you those here today.
Short of time? Here is the recommended brush for your Maltipoo and why:
Enjoy stress-free grooming sessions with your Maltipoo with PetEd’s tug-resistant design, ensuring you and your dog build a trusting bond and enjoy grooming sessions that they actually want (and not run away in fear every time you get the brush!)
- Non-pulling and tug-resistant, so you can brush your dog with confidence and ease, which means you’ll be sure to never cause pain to your dog or damage your dog’s coat again.
- Massaging and gentle, so your dog can enjoy being brushed and fussed, which means you will better bond with your dog and no longer have to fight with them come brushing time. They’ll come to you!
- Fine, angled bristles, so you can access and groom all parts of your dog’s coat effortlessly to remove dirt, debris, and tangles to ensure it looks clean, shiny, and healthy, which means you can walk your dog with pride and never be embarrassed about their coat condition again.
- Hair containing, so loose hair isn’t left flying or left around the room, which means a more hygienic and comfortable home for you to enjoy.
- Large head surface area, so you can collect more hair per brush, which means less time cleaning and a more efficient grooming session
- One-button automatic cleaning functionality, so you can dispose of shed hair effortlessly, which means less time cleaning up and more time doing the things that matter most to you.
- Practical size and weight, so you can comfortably hold, use, store, and take it with you on the go, which means you will be free to brush your dog’s coat regardless of where you are.
- Retractable pins, so you can ensure no damage is done when not in use, which means the brush is much more durable and will last you longer.
- Purposely designed for dogs with curly coats, so you can be confident on even the most matted of coats. Great for doodle and poodle hybrid dogs, such as your Maltipoo!
The Best Brushes For maltipoos
PetEd Slicker Brush
My recommended and standout pick is my very own PetEd Slicker Brush.
Self promotional, I know.
But I extensively researched the market, spoke with dozens of suppliers and tested countless brushes to land on this particular one.
Below is me physically brushing my dog with it…
It’s perfect for Maltipoo and/or any other poodle hybrid breed.
It’s designed with their coat in mind.
Not only is brushing a breeze, running through a coat safely without any tugging, but it also collects any loose hair while you go, and that you can easily deposit into a bin with the click of a button and a simple swipe.
It’s a great weight, comfortable to hold and durable too.
It’s what I use on my dog Bailey, and it’s I can personally attest to its effectiveness.
- Safe, Gentle, and Stress-Free Grooming: Non-pulling and tug-resistant so you can brush your dog with confidence and ease, your dog can enjoy being brushed and fussed, you will never have to fight come brushing time, and you never feel guilty causing pain to your dog, or damaging their coat ever again. Finally build a trusting bond.
- Effective, Thorough, and Complete Coat Care: With fine angled bristles, so you can access and groom all parts of your dog's coat effortlessly to remove dirt, debris, and tangles to ensure it looks clean, shiny, and healthy, which means you can walk your dog with pride and never be embarrassed about their coat condition again.
- Hugely Time-Saving: With hair-containing features (so loose hair isn’t left flying or left around the room), a large surface head area and one-button automatic cleaning functionality, which means less time cleaning and more time for you to do what you enjoy most.
- Practical, Durable, and Dependable: With retracting pins, a sturdy yet lightweight design, and a built with premium materials, so you can comfortably hold, use, store, and take with you on the go. You will be free to brush your dog's coat regardless of where you are, and no damage is done when not in use, which means the brush is much more durable and will last you longer.
- Purposefully Designed For Dog & Owner: Created with curly coats in mind, you can be confident regardless of coat type/condition. Ideal for doodle and poodle hybrid dogs, including: Cockapoos, Cavoodles, Maltipoos, Bernedoodles, Goldendoodles, Shih Poos, etc.
PAKEWAY Slicker Grooming Brush
The PAKEWAY Slicker Grooming Brush is another great option, according to other customers on Amazon.
- 💗【Cat Brush】Cat brushes for indoor cats are made of high quality stainless steel bristles, soft needles, long-term use without deformation; Needle comb 60 degrees slightly tilted for effective hair collection, massage to protect your cat's skin; can be used for all periods of short / long hair animals, enjoy the fun and relaxation for your beloved pet when combing hair.
- 🗲【Easy and Safe】Cat dog grooming brush head with soft rubber cap to care for pet skin, push plate press, not stuck hair, one key to easily remove hair; plastic material handle, one-handed comfortable operation, non-slip grip feeling, it is stronger, ergonomic structure design combing hair more effort; prevent static electricity design, take care of you and your pet's feelings.
- ➜【Convenient and Quick】Cat comb features self-cleaning function, after combing the hair for your pet, just press the button, the hair will shrink back into the brush, very simple to remove all the hair on the brush, effectively relieve easy knotting, hair, remove floating hair, fluffy open knots and other problems.
- 💦【Easy to Clean】Cat brush with release button is washable all over, easy and convenient, clean and hygienic. Clean and soft, warm and comfortable colors, can be easily integrated into different home environments, convenient storage.
- 🎁【Warm and Comfortable】Cat Grooming Brush comfortable massage, non-slip button, you can easily collect hair, you and your beloved pet are in need of a warm moment of hair combing, your warm and comfortable home also needs a clean and hygienic environment. We also provide you with professional pre-sales and after-sales services. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Pet Portal Slicker Brush
My final recommendation, if you do opt against my own trialed and tested product, would be this one my Pet Portal.
- SELF CLEANING - Dread cleaning your dog hair brush? With our clever self-cleaning cat brush, simply push the button, wipe, and your favorite dog accessories are fur free!
- TIME SAVING - Whether you're a puppy parent, kitty carer, groomer, or vet, this shedding brush for pets removes excess hair with very little time and effort.
- VERSATILE - 5 inch and 3/4 inch deshedding brush are ideal for both long or short haired fur babies - our cat and dog grooming brush removes mats, tangles, dirt, and loose fur from your pet’s coat.
- GENTLE - Gentle on your pet’s skin and coat, this dog brush for short haired dogs and cats features soft, angled bristles for easy, effective, and painless de-shedding.
- COMFORTABLE - Your dogs and cats will love this pet grooming brush. Designed to be efficient yet enjoyable, this time-saving slicker brush will have your pooch or kitty thanking you!
How Often Should You Brush A Maltipoo?
The Maltipoo coat does best with daily brushing, multiple times throughout the day, if possible. Although 2-3x per week is recommended at the very least. This will prevent the coat matting, tangling, and help to remove any dirt debris that is able to collect in the coat.
At the same time, regular brushing will help to remove any dead and loose hairs; which will collect and start to smell in time.
Another benefit of regular brushing is that it helps to distribute natural oils from the skin throughout the coat. This helps to keep the coat healthy and promotes future hair growth too.
What Type Of Brush Is Best For Maltipoos?
Slicker brushes are considered the best type of brush for a Maltipoo, or any other hybrid Poodle breed. They are designed to work through thicker, coarser hairs and are therefore much more comfortable on the dog.
Pin and bristle brushes can also be used; although its important to be careful when using them.
For instance, you need to be careful with the amount of pressure you apply and ensure you get a pin and bristle brush with plastic and/or rounded pins.
These will both work to prevent irritation and damage to your dogs’ skin.
You may also want to consider investing in a stainless steel comb for use around the face.
How Do I Keep My Maltipoo From Matting?
The best way to keep a Maltipoo from matting is with regular brushing with the appropriate technique. A slicker brush is best for this particular job.
Additionally, spritzing the hair of a Maltipoo with a detangling spray (like this best-selling product from Amazon) will help the brushing process and reduce the effort required to brush through any existing mats or tangles.
Slicker brushes are the best type of brush for a Maltipoo; and any other Poodle hybrid for that matter.
And when it comes to the best slicker brush on the market. Well, you can’t really look past the PetEd…
Just look at those reviews by fellow dog owners on Amazon!
And here is how to use it to groom your Maltipoo.
I am a practiced pet owner with decades of experience owning a number of different pets. I am also the main writer and chief editor here at Pet Educate; a site I created to share everything I’ve learned about pet ownership over the years and my extensive research along the way.