Pets At Home is the largest retailer of pet supplies in the UK, with over 450 stores at the time of writing. Chances are, you’ll be getting a lot of your pet supplies from them at some point.
Either directly in-store or from the comfort of your home online.
But what about your pet itself?
Do Pets At Home sell animals and if so, which ones?
Having visited multiple stores during my life, contacted several directly, and even reached out to Head Office, here is a breakdown of all the pets they often have available.
What Animals Do Pets At Home Sell
Pets at home sell:
- Bearded Dragons – but only in a few of their selected stores. If you are looking for a bearded dragon, it is recommended to call your nearest, largest store to find out in advance.
- Fish – Pets At Home stock a range of tropical, coldwater, and temperate fish that are suitable for beginners all the way through to more experienced fishkeepers. This includes goldfish. Most stores will also be able to conduct a free water test on a sample of your tanks water to ensure it is suitable for your newly acquired fish.
- Gerbils – Almost all Pets At Home stores sell Gerbils. There are typically between 1-4 gerbils available for selection at any one time. However, depending on the size of the store and demand, this is likely to change.
- Guinea Pigs – Most Pets At Home stores sell Guinea Pigs. There are typically between 3-6 guinea pigs available for purchase at any one time. Guinea Pigs are often available in several different colors.
- Hamsters – Almost all Pets At Home stores sell hamsters. They commonly sell three different breeds of hamsters; Syrian, Robvoroski, and Russian. Hamsters are often available in different colors and sizes.
- Lizards – a small selection of lizards in certain stores. The most common lizards that they sell are geckos; where they often stock both the leopard and crested gecko species.
- Rabbits – Pets At Home stores do sell rabbits; these are of a mixed breed. It is generally advised to ask in each store what breeds have been bred for their particular rabbits on sale. Either way, Pets At Home usually have between 1-2 rabbits available for purchase at any one time.
- Rats – Most stores sell rats along with a range of products suitable for rats, ranging from food bowls to bedding to cages.
- Snakes – But only in some stores and only two particular species. (Royal Python and Corn Snakes. If you are interested in any other species of pet snake, it is advised to contact a more specialist, reputable exotic snake breeder.
- Reptiles – 257 of the 453 Pets At Home stores sell reptiles, these are generally the larger ones. The stores that do sell reptiles have been known to sell bearded dragons and some other lizard species.
What Animals Do Pets At Home Not Sell
Pets at home do not sell:
- Birds, including budgies – in any of their stores. They do however sell items and accessories for both pet birds and wild birds too. This includes bird cages, toys, and even feed.
- Chinchillas – Pets At Home no longer sell Chinchillas. The company has made a decision to stop selling these rodents due to a lack of general demand.
- Ferrets – although the larger stores do sell a wide and varied range of ferret supplies and accessories.
- Hedgehogs – Instead, you could try contacting a local exotic pet breeder. Hedgehogs have complex needs and are not the easiest of pets to obtain.
- Kittens or older cats – Instead, it is recommended that you research and inquire with reputable local breeders. Pets At Home may be able to recommend such breeders.
- Mice – although, although they do sell a number of accessories, toys and feed for pet mice and other similar small rodents.
- Puppies – Instead, you should contact local, breed-specific, and reputable local breeders. Pets At Home may be able to recommend such breeders.
- Turtles – Instead, you should contact specialist aquatic stores who will either be able to sell a turtle to you directly or put you in contact with a reputable local breeder.
- Tortoises – Pets At Home Stores do not currently sell tortoises, although some stores did sell Hermann tortoises in the past. Most stores however will sell tortoise pet supplies, including starter kits, food, and accessories.
Pets At Home sell a variety of different pets.
Problem is, it’s tough to know exactly what ones.
And as you can see, it’s largely dependent on the store you go to.
Besides, the website does not give us too many clues…
That being said, the best thing you can do is contact your local store ahead of time and ask them directly.
Or you can use their handy store locator service on their website, and check the boxes for specifics you are looking for, such as reptiles or birds.
It can save a wasted journey.
And if you have young kids, can help avoid any disappointment.
Failing that, if you did want to try a store on the fly, it’s always best to visit one of the largest stores.
That will generally hold you in good stead.
Stores That Sell Reptiles
|Isle of Man||N4|
|Bolton – Horwich||N6|
|Derby – Mete||E3|
|York Foss Island||E5|
|Old Kent Road||SE1|
|Bury St Edmonds||SE4|
|Isle Of Wight||SW1|
|Cardiff Newport Rd||SW4|
|Stratford Uon Avon||SW6|