Popular Flea And Tick Shampoo Product Kills Healthy Cat

Pet owners are being warned after a healthy young cat was killed minutes after being bathed in a market-leading flea and tick shampoo product.

It involves the Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Advanced Strength Shampoo product, which is advertised as a highly effective plant-based formula.

The anonymous owner reported on Reddit this upsetting news today.

News broke this morning after an anonymous owner reported the news on social media site Reddit earlier today.

It is suspected that the active ingredient that killed the cat is clove oil, a toxic compound known to cause poisoning in cats.

Kia Benson, DVM Associate Veterinarian, Clinical Toxicology notes on the use of clove oil and other essential oils:

“Essential oils can pose a toxic risk to household pets, especially to cats. They are rapidly absorbed both orally and across the skin, and are then metabolized in the liver. Cats lack an essential enzyme in their liver and as such have difficulty metabolizing and eliminating certain toxins like essential oils”

This news reminds cat owners of the stark dangers lurking in common popular brand products being sold routinely on the market and the need to remain vigilant even with products being sold on popular platforms and marketplaces.

It calls the need for closer regulation of this industry.

Be careful of even products with high ratings and being sold on popular sites.