Russian Blue cats just look so elegant. This is partly due to their stunningly blue eyes, but let’s be honest – it has a lot to do with their short light silver to a darker, slate grey coat!
But only when it is kept in optimal condition.
Regular brushing and grooming will keep the coat looking at its best.
By removing any dirt, debris and loose hair – brushing is one of the best things you can do for your cats comfort and hygiene.
Besides, it means less hair around your home too!
And let’s be honest; what cat doesn’t love a pampering and a bit of attention!
The difficulty in all this is – finding a decent brush!
Now you may have already picked up a cheap brush at your local pet store, or you may not have one altogether.
Either way, when you start to look at the options its easy to get overwhelmed.
It can be difficult to make a decision. There’s almost too much choice.
Plus, you want the right kind of brush for the Russian blue, and not just some generic brush designed for dogs.
So, with these challenges in mind; I spent some time researching all the different options currently available on the market.
I’ve identified the three best brushes for Russian Blues.
All of which meet all of the necessary criteria: affordable, easy to use, comfortable on cats, and suitable for the coat of a Russian blue.
And here they are:
Best Brushes For Russian Blue Cats
Cat Brush Details
Catit Senses 2.0 Self Groomer Cat Brush
What I Like About The Catit Senses 2.0 Brush
- Very practical and versatile; easy to hold and use or mount.
- Doubles up as a toy; so that your cat can naturally clean and groom themselves.
- Catnip compartment to help get your cat to use it more frequently.
- Effortless to clean and disembles easy to allow you to do so more easily.
What I Do Not Like About The Catit Senses 2.0 Brush
- Cats have been known to chew on it.
- Cat self grooming wall brush that helps remove and collect loose cat hair
- This can be used as a cat self groomer wall corner; easy to mount on either a flat wall or corner surfaces, with strips (included) or screws (optional, not included)
- Easy to disassemble the cat brush and clean by handwashing
- Made of BPA-free materials
- Catit Senses 2.0 is a product line developed to activate your cat’s senses; the cat toys encourage your cat to use sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing to stimulate their natural instincts indoors
CeleMoon Cat Grooming Brush
What I Like About The CeleMoon Brush
- Very gentle bristles make it very comfortable and relaxing on your cat,
- Circular style makes it easy and comfortable to hold and use,
- Lightweight and easy to take with you on the go.
What I Do Not Like About The CeleMoon Brush
- Not all cats have enjoyed being brushed with it.
- ★ NO SCRATCHING & ENJOYABLE ★ With premium silicone material, the Celemoon cat grooming brush is ultra-soft, safe, comfortable and durable. It will never scratch your pet's skin and they will love how it feels and enjoy grooming!
- ★ EFFICIENT SHEDDING ★ Remove up to 90% of shedding hair from your cat within minutes. Simply comb gently over your cats coat, within seconds you will have a fistful of fur. And after 5 minutes you will be amazed at just how much loose hair has been removed.
- ★ WASHABLE & EASY CLEANING ★ Not like other brush, you could even rinse it thoroughly with water to remove all the hair from the brush simply when you're done brushing your cat. And then it will get ready for the next time use.
- ★ NONE-SLIP HAND GRIP ★ The hand grip would perfectly fit into your hands and fingers and avoids slipping when using. This compact cat brush is very comfortable to hold and use!
- ★ BUYERS GUIDELINES BEFORE BUYING ★ Adding some water on the surface of the brush could help attract more hair.
Hertzko Pet Brush
What I Like About The Hertzko Brush
- Removes mats, tangles and knots well,
- Sturdy brush and very durable.
What I Do Not Like About The Hertzko Brush
- Relatively inflexible; harder bristles mean you have to be additionally careful when using.
- ★ PERFECT PET BRUSH TO REMOVE FUR, & LOOSE HAIR - Hertzko's Soft Brush for dogs and cats gently removes Loose Hair, and eliminates Tangles, Dander and trapped Dirt. WORKS GREAT ON DOGS AND CATS WITH ALL SIZES AND HAIR TYPES!
- ★ GENTLE & SAFE – Soft and gentle plastic bristles are manufactured with ROUNDED ENDS so it won't damage or scratch your pet's sensitive skin. Suitable for face and paw areas & for sensitive skin
- ★ YOUR PET WILL NOT ONLY 'LOOK' GOOD BUT 'FEEL' GREAT TOO! - Our brush grooms and massages for a healthy coat, increasing blood circulation and leaves your pet's coat soft and shiny. Your Pet will love being brushed!
- ★ COMFORTABLE, STRONG, AND DURABLE- Our Soft Brush is especially designed with a COMFORT-GRIP and ANTI-SLIP HANDLE, which prevents hand and wrist strain no matter how long you brush your pet!
- ★ YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THE HERTZKO SOFT BRUSH - We offer 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
How Often To Brush Your Russian Blue Cat
Russian Blue cats do best being brushed 1-2 per week at a minimum. Although, some light daily brushing is typically enjoyed by these cats and provides them with emotional benefits beyond just the cleansing of the coat.
For this reason, whether or not you brush more frequently or once per week is ultimately going to come down to your preferences and commitments.
What can you realistically afford to do?
Daily brushing or weekly brushing can work.
That being said, weekly brushing is recommended for the Russian blue – at a minimum.
Just consider that the more you brush your Russian blue, the less coat that will collect in the brush each time.
And also bear in mind that the amount of hair that will come out through brushing will vary depending on the season.
More hair should be expected during a major weather or seasonal shift. These cats shed, after all.
One other thing to consider is the type of brush you use. You also need to be mindful about how much coat you are taking off at any one time.
Removing too much of the undercoat will be irritating to your cat and can even result in illness if they struggle to retain heat and remain sufficiently warm.
This is why slicker brushers, or those with plastic tips are recommended. They enable you to brush more safely and gently.
How Do You Brush A Russian Blue Cat?
The best way to brush a Russian Blue cat is by focusing on one body part at a time and working your way through until every area has been brushed. Be gentle, calm, and careful at all times.
Its advised to start on the head, before proceeding down the body, onto the legs and finishing up on the tail.
Be sure to follow the direction the fur lies.
Do not press too hard while brushing – you want this to be a comfortable and enjoyable experience for your cat.
If you encounter any knots or tangles, you will want to tease them out very carefully without pulling away too harshly from your cat.
Brushing a short-haired cat such as a Russian Blue should only take you a few minutes from start to finish.
Nevertheless, its always advised that you brush them towards the end of the day or when they are calm. Do so when you are cuddling up on the sofa and they can enjoy the attention you are giving them.
And if you want to make the experience even more enjoyable; be sure to offer treats!
Brushing and grooming your Russian Blue will keep their coat short, clean, and smelling fresh.
It will be instantly noticeable, and your cat will appreciate the effort and attention too. So long as you are gentle and brush them appropriately!
If you do so its a great way to spend time with your cat, give them a good massage and bond with them all the while.
Due to its versatility, customer reviews, and practicality; I would wholeheartedly recommend the Catit Senses brush. It’s ideal for Russian Blues????