Have you recently discovered Impact Dog Crates? Are you potentially interested in proceeding and making the investment, but are not quite sure if this is the right option for you (and your dog).
Then this Impact Dog Crate review is for you.
Today, I’d like to give you an overview of what these crates do and what they are all about, while also providing you with more information about the manufacturer and brand.
And no, they are not your typical, average wire crates with door bars.
Having crated numerous breeds over the last 25 years, I am also going to be sharing my personal expertise and opinion on impact crates; what I think you have to know them and other things you may want to consider.
Ultimately, I want you to leave here with the confidence to make an informed decision, whatever that may be for you and your dog.
You love your dog more than anything.
You’d do anything to keep them safe, happy, and comfortable.
And that what’s the right crate can do.
Short of time and just want to get my view? Well, here is my Impact Dog Crate Review:
If you are interested in purchasing a dependable, reliable and high quality dog crate, then I would strongly recommend an Impact Dog Crate.
With three versatile options to choose from (Collapsible, High Anxiety and Stationary) in a range of sizes for different breeds, you’ll be able to find the right option for your specific use cases and needs.
The customer service team are incredibly helpful and available around the clock to help you make the right purchasing decision.
While these crates are an investment, they will last you – plus they are designed with dog safety, comfort and practicality in mind.
Oh and they look terrific too (with various colors to choose from)
Impact Dog Crate Review
I am a huge advocate of Impact Dog Crates! They are built to an exceptional quality, making them durable, safe and comfortable for dogs. With a choice of sizes, colors and styles, they’re easy to clean, transport and will fit seamlessly into any home. While on the pricier side, they are certainly an investment and one-time purchase.
Personal Testing Results
How did I come to this conclusion?
Well, I tested 10 different factors to ensure it meets the needs for both dogs and us owners.
See below the testing categories and how the Impact Dog crate stood up:
Overall Score: 9.4
- Designed with precise measurements to enable optimal space and maximum comfort for the dog.
- Sturdy, well-made with exceptionally high-quality materials.
- Durable locking mechanisms, excellent ventilation, and ease of assembly.
- Incredibly stylish, various color options.
- Ideal for home use and also on the road.
- These crates do not come cheap, and you may even need to get financing to afford one.
|Testing Aspect||Score (1-10)|
|Size and Comfort||9.5|
|Material and Build Quality||9.8|
|Ease of Assembly and Portability||9.2|
|Cleaning and Maintenance||8.9|
|Price and Value for Money||8.2|
|Customer Reviews and Brand Reputation||9.5|
My Testing Process & Criteria
My Testing Criteria
- Measured Size and Comfort: I measured the crate to confirm it matched the advertised dimensions and ensured there was enough room for my dog to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably. I also checked the interior for any sharp edges or points that could harm my dog.
- Examined Material and Build Quality: I closely examined the materials used (metal, plastic, fabric, etc.) for their durability and quality. I tested the sturdiness of the crate by gently shaking it and looked for signs of poor construction like loose parts or weak welds.
- Checked Safety Features: I checked the locking mechanism to ensure it was secure and that my dog couldn’t easily open it. I also inspected for any small parts or choking hazards and ensured there was adequate ventilation.
- Assessed Ease of Assembly and Portability: I timed how long it took to assemble the crate, noting any difficulties. For collapsible crates, I tested how easy it was to fold and unfold. I also checked the weight and whether it was easy to carry or move around, especially for travel purposes.
- Evaluated Cleaning and Maintenance: I assessed how easy it was to clean, including whether there were removable trays or washable liners. I checked if the materials used were likely to rust, stain, or retain odors.
- Observed Comfort Features: I looked for additional features like padded floors or covers and assessed the design for any features that might provide more comfort, like rounded corners.
- Considered Aesthetics: I considered the design and appearance of the crate, ensuring it looked good in my home environment. I checked if it came in different colors or styles.
- Monitored My Dog’s Response: I observed how my dog reacted to the crate, noting if they seemed comfortable and secure. I also noted if my dog had any issues entering or exiting the crate.
- Compared Price and Value for Money: I compared the price with the features and quality offered, considering if the crate offered good value for its price point.
- Reviewed Customer Feedback and Brand Reputation: I looked at what other customers were saying about the crate and researched the brand’s reputation for quality and customer service.
My Testing Notes & Results
- Size and Comfort:
- My dog has an optimal amount of space pace in this crate. It’s just the right size for him to stand, turn, and lie down comfortably, while steel feeling properly enclosed. Better still, there are no dangerous sharp edges, or any small parts that could harm him.
- Material and Build Quality:
- The crate feels very sturdy and well-made. I’m impressed with the quality of the materials – particularly the aluminum, which seems like it will hold up well over time. It’s well grounded providing excellent stability.
- Safety Features:
- The various durable locking mechanisms provide me with peace of mind knowing that my dog can’t get out. The ventilation is great, ensuring he’s comfortable, can breathe and won’t overheat.
- Ease of Assembly and Portability:
- The collapsible crate doesn’t require assembly. The others do, but its easier than anticipated. All creates are convenient for travel, and my dog seems comfortable with the transitions, whether it’s set up at home or on the go.
- Cleaning and Maintenance:
- Cleaning the crate is fairly straightforward, which is a huge plus. The materials don’t hold onto odors, and my dog seems to appreciate the cleanliness.
- Comfort Features:
- A padded floor would have been a nice touch. Still, my dog seems to enjoy lounging inside. I wish there were more comfort features, but what’s there, he enjoys.
- The crate looks great in our home. It’s stylish and doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb. My dog seems to like his new ‘den’, often going in by himself just to relax.
- Dog’s Response:
- My dog took to the crate really well. He seems to find it a secure and comfortable place, often spending time in there by choice. It’s great to see him so at ease in his new space.
- Price and Value for Money:
- Considering the quality and features, I feel the price is justified. It’s an investment for my dog’s comfort and safety, and seeing how well he’s adapted to it, I’m happy with the purchase.
- Customer Reviews and Brand Reputation:
- Other customers seem to share my positive experience, which is reassuring. The brand’s reputation for quality is well-earned, and it’s reflected in how well my dog and I are getting on with the crate.
About Impact Dog Crates
Impact Dog Crates are a family-owned business offering a premium brand of American-made aluminum dog crates and accessories. Founded in 2012 by Michael Bailey in Northern Idaho, they serve customers all over the United States.
Crates are manufactured and distributed from the companies headquarters in Hayden, Idaho.
“Impact is committed to consistently working to provide the highest quality aluminum dog crates and accessories most trusted by dog owners to protect their beloved pets.”Impact Dog Crate CEO and Company Mission
Impact dog crates were designed with inspiration from military-grade aluminum cases used to protect missiles and satellite equipment, in order to provide a crate that would ensure the utmost reliability and peace of mind.
They offer three signature crates, in a range of sizes for dogs of all breeds and temperaments:
- Speedy Setup: In 60 seconds or less, with no specialist tools required
- Collapsible Design: for easy storage and portability
- Carrying handle for comfortable transport
- Optimally Ventilated: for airflow
- One-handed operation for easy access
- Sturdy military grade handles
- Available in sizes: 30″, 34″, 40″, 40″+, 48″, 54″
- Available in colors: grey, desert tan, black, white, teal, OD green, pink.
Who Is It Best For?
The collapsible crate is ideal for you and your dog if you travel often or have limited home space. Its portable, compact design allows easy transport and convenient storage between uses.
If you love embarking on vacations full of adventure, the collapsible crate is ideal for maximizing fun on the road.
Its portable design lets you easily tote your pup along to beach getaways, mountain cabin retreats, or wherever your next exploit may lead.
Got an active pup who lives for daily walks, hikes, and outdoor play? The crate collapses compactly when not popped open, making it easy to carry in the car or on outings.
Set it up in a flash at the park or trail head to give your dog a safe home base while you’re exploring.
High Anxiety Crate
Key Crate Features
- Maximum durability: constructed with 62% thicker aluminum alloy compared to typical crates for maximum structural integrity and security.
- Features four additional butterfly latches and a zinc-plated steel paddle latch for extra strength and resilience against escape attempts
- Extra Small 0.05 inch ventilation holes allow airflow but prevent teeth from fitting through, or destructive chewing that could otherwise cause a dog harm.
- Available in sizes: 30″, 34″, 40″, 48″.
- Available in colors: grey, black, white.
Who Is It Best For?
If your dog struggles with severe separation anxiety or is an escape artist, the High Anxiety crate is the ideal solution.
The extra butterfly latches and steel paddle latch ensure even clever dogs stay securely confined, giving you peace of mind.
At the same time, the crate provides a sense of comfort and reassurance for anxious pups who have difficulty being separated from their owner.
With its portable design and military-grade handles, you can easily move the crate to any room or take it on trips.
Small ventilation holes let air flow through while preventing teeth from grabbing on.
If you have a dog prone to panicked pawing, the crate’s thick build can withstand the force.
What Is It Designed For?
Key Crate Features
- Sturdy yet mobile design provides security and versatility
- Airline compatible for easy travel with pets
- Stackable crates allow multi-dog transport
- Optional side door configuration for accessibility
- Durable aluminum construction built to last
- Available in sizes: 20″, 24″, 30″, 34″,40″, 40″+, 48″, 48″+.
- Available in colors: grey, desert tan, black, white, teal, OD green, pink.
Who Is It Best For?
If you are looking for an affordable solution for primarily home use (that still gives the ability to travel), the stationary crate is a great option. It’s also ideal if you have a smaller dog, as it is available in much smaller sizes than the other two crate options.
With sizes ranging from petite 20-inch crates to extra-spacious 40+ inch enclosures, the Stationary Dog Crate is ideal for canines of all shapes and sizes.
If you are a small breed/puppy owner, the crate provides a cozy haven without taking up excess floor space.
On the other end of the spectrum, if you own a giant breed, you will appreciate the extra large space that comfortably accommodates your big dog’s needs.
What I Like About Impact Dog Crates
There are a plethora of advantages to buying an Impact Dog crate, here are just a few benefits that immediately spring to mind:
These crates were made to last.
Not only are they constructed with the highest quality of materials, like high grade aluminum, but they’ve been carefully constructed to ensure they remain as robust and dependable from the first use to the thousandth use (and beyond).
In other words, this is no a crate you’ll need to replace.
Unlike wire crates and many other cheaper crate alternatives, Impact understand the potential harm that crating can inadvertently cause.
So, they have designed their crates in a very particular way.
For instance, ventilation holes are of a specific size, shape and position to prevent a dog from harming their mouths/teeth if they did try to chew/bite.
Equally, the dimensions and enclosed design ensure that it feels like a den-like space, without being too restrictive or open.
The result – dogs feel safe, comfortable and relaxed once inside.
Lastly on the safety front.
While Impact crates have not been crash tested, there are a number of ‘crash testimonials’ where dog’s lives have been saved from being kept in an impact crate during these unfortunate collisions.
Impact’s Customer Service Team
Impact’s stellar customer service team is always on hand to offer friendly advice, provide sizing recommendations, and answer any general questions you may have.
They are quick to respond and go the extra mile to ensure you find the perfect crate for your dog.
With a lifetime guarantee on all their crates, Impact shows the utmost confidence in the durability and quality of their products.
This guarantee demonstrates how tough and long-lasting their crates are built to be.
Impact offers flexible financing options to help you pay at your own pace.
You don’t have to use it – but you can. It’s nice to have the option.
With monthly payment plans and 0% APR financing available, you can get the ideal crate for your budget.
Should you order the wrong size or change your mind, Impact allows free and easy exchanges.
This hassle-free policy gives you peace of mind with your purchase.
Your Crate Is Built For You
As soon as you order, Impact gets to work building a brand new crate made just for you.
They keep you updated throughout the quick 3-5 day build and shipping process. Your custom crate is handled with care from start to finish.
Available for All Breeds, Ages and Sizes
Impact offers crates in a wide range of sizes to accommodate dogs of all breeds, ages, and sizes.
Each product page has clear sizing info and dimensions stated, along with recommendations for which breeds fit best in each crate.
Finding the perfect size for your pup, home and vehicle is made easy.
Wide Variety of Accessories and Add-Ons
From crate pads to dividers, wheel carts, side doors, sticker packs, airline rails, and even crate fans, Impact offers a broad range of crate accessories and add-ons to customize your crate further and make it even more special.
You can tailor it with just the features your dog needs.
Impact Crates Are Trusted & loved by Thousands
You can see real customer stories, anecdotes, and images on Impact’s website showing just how much their crates are cherished by fellow dog owners (of various breeds).
With thousands of delighted customers, you can trust their crates to bring happiness to your home too.
What Other Customers Are Saying About Impact Dog Crates
Impact Dog Crates have some of the highest ratings of dog crates on the market, with around a 93% 5* rating from fellow customers.
See below a recent snapshot and summary:
|Crate||Overall Rating||Total Reviews||# Of 5* Reviews|
|Collapsible Crate||4.9/5||1.6k||1.5k (93.75%)|
|High Anxiety||4.9/5||1.7k||1.6k (94.12%)|
If we delve a little deeper, and look specifically into the reviews, there are a few that caught my eye.
Here is what one customer (Louys) had to say about the collapsible crate:
Worth EVERY Penny, Plus Some!
I’ve held off on writing a review for my XXL collapsible crate for almost 5 years; my purchase was in July of 2018. Since then, I’ve traveled 4,000 miles with my crate, it’s been through 2 high anxiety dogs, 4 house moves, and countless doggy accidents. The photos shown are taken today, Nov 21, 2022. The amount of wear and tear shown here doesn’t match a month of wear and tear on a wire crate. This will likely be the last crate I’ll have to purchase in my life, if I don’t invest in a second. Absolutely no rust, some paint damage due to chewing but c’mon it’s been over 4 YEARS, little to no denting, and still feels as sturdy and solid as the day I got it. Impact Crates is the ONLY way to go.
And here is what another (Landri) had to say about the high anxiety?
Can’t Live Without This Crate!
If you are on the fence about buying an impact crate, PLEASE READ! I wish I could give this crate and company 100 stars.
When we rescued our 6 month old German Shepherd, we tried every crate imaginable. Wire, hard shell, you name it. We used clamps and ties to keep him in, and he would go crazy, bloody his paws, and tear his way out of every single thing we attempted. We even tried letting him free-roam the house, but, as all puppies are, he was destructive when left alone. After destroying hundreds of dollars of things, and giving us scares that he would hurt himself when out or trying to break out of other crates, we bit the bullet and bought a high anxiety impact crate. Hands down best. decision. EVER.
After a slow introduction to the crate, we put him in it, and he cried for about 10 minutes and scratched at the door… and that was it. It’s been about a month since we got it , and he now goes in and out of the crate with ease and settles right down. When we come home, he won’t make a peep and will wait until we are ready to let him out. He’s done a full 180, and I truly believes he feels the crate is his safe space.
If you’re having doubts, I recommend trying an impact kennel. It has saved our sanity and helped keep our anxious, escape artist calm and safe when we can’t be home with him! 10/10 worth the investment!
Then there is this review by Tyson for the stationary crate
Impact Crate Enhanced My Dog Partnership!
Thx for the amazing 40” reg stationary crate, its perfect for my 80lb German Shepherd. now I can take my dog anywhere with me and even leave him with family and know he will be safe and so will their rugs. Its the best peace of mind I could have. Changed my life completely. My dog is very high anxiety but this crate calms him down and provides me with the ability to have a life without worry for him. Its perfect size for my suv and is rigid but quiet, never makes a squeak. I hardly know its there. Its also lightweight and easy to transfer around as needed. 10/10 recommended!
How Much Do Impact Dog crates Cost?
Impact dog crates range in price from $427 to $939 based on size and features, with flexible financing options as low as $35/month and free accessories included with purchase.
When it comes to Impact dog crates, you have several buying options to choose from to suit your needs and budget.
- The Stationary crate is the most affordable, starting at $427 or $35/month via financing payments.
- The Collapsible Crate is the mid-tier option, starting at $854 or $71/month financing. A free vinyl crate pad is also included.
- The High Anxiety Crate is the most expensive option, starting at $939 or can be financed for $78/month. You’ll also get 30% off crate accessories with your purchase.
Final Verdict: Should You Get An Impact Dog Crate?
When it comes to purchasing a secure enclosure for your dog, you simply will not go wrong with any of the Impact Dog crates. And that’s whether you opt for the collapsible high-anxiety or stationary option.
Now, I’ll admit these crates don’t come cheap.
But when it comes to your dog’s safety and your own peace of mind, they are worth the investment as a one-time purchase built to last a lifetime.
Trust me, I’ve been there buying cheaper (wire and plastic) crates.
They either don’t last, cause harm to your dog, or your dog even escapes them!
So, it simply makes sense to make the purchase once, and don’t make the mistake that I and many new dog owners too often make.
That being said, when it comes to an impact dog crate, make sure you get the right one for your budget and needs.
- The collapsible impact dog crate is for you if... you routinely travel or have limited space.
- The stationary impact dog crate is for you if... you require a crate that will remain in a fixed location for most of the time (but can still travel), have a very small or large dog, or your on a budget.
- The high anxiety impact dog crate is for you if... you have a a dog that suffers with separation anxiety, has destructive tendencies or loves an escape, the high anxiety crate is for you.
While the price tag may initially give you pause, can you put a price on eliminating daily worries and stress for years to come?
Personally, I don’t think so.
And with its sleek, durable design, you’ll feel proud that your dog can call one of these crates home.
So, head over there and take action. Trust me, you’ll soon be delighted you did!
Related guides you may want to read:
I am an experienced pet owner with decades of experience owning a number of different pets, from traditional pets like dogs and cats, to the more exotic like reptiles and rodents. I currently own a Cockapoo (pictured) called Bailey. I am also the main writer and chief editor here at Pet Educate; a site dedicated to sharing evidence-based insights and guidance, based on my vast pet ownership knowledge, experience, and extensive research.