Are you looking to buy some new decorations for your Axolotls tank? Want to aesthetically improve the home of your aquatic amphibian without putting them under stress, or potentially causing issues? Well, you’ve come to the right place.
Today, we are going to be looking at some of the best decorations that you can add to an Axolotl tank.
Ones that are not only entirely safe but look great and are affordable too!
I’ll also be running through some critical questions and considerations too; especially if you have particular materials or items in mind, like plants, rocks, or bamboo.
But first, if you are short on time or just want to find out what the top picks are, here are my recommendations:
Best Tank Decorations For Axolotls
The following decorations and products are ideal for adding to your axolotl tank. They have met strict criteria to be featured and recommended here today.
Here are just some of the strict quality factors these products have been rated against the material, safety, size/shape, durability, price, visual effectiveness, and fellow customer reviews.
WDEFUN Natural Large Driftwood
- NATURAL AND UNIQUE »» Natural driftwood has interesting shapes and textures.and looks different from various angles. Each piecec is unique.the pictures shown are only some of the driftwoods, what you get may be different from pictures show.
- VARIOUS APPLICATIONS »» Large size driftwood not just for aquarium decor and convenient for display with some air plants. Also can be used as accessories on various reptiles tank like beard dragon,spider,snake,lizard,snail,turtle,crab,frog,gecko,ball python tank.
- SAFE USE STEPS »» Natural driftwood contains tannins, which you must boil and soak for a week. Until the tannin is completely released, you can put it in the fish tank with complete confidence. Don't worry about harming the fish.It can be used directly in reptile tanks.They can instantly adds natural beauty to your fish tank or terrariums.
- STURDY AND DURABLE »» The high-quality drift wood is sturdy and durable, making it perfect for use under water or in a drought environment. It is perfect decoration as well as an ideal choice for reptile to climb on
- SATISFACTION ASSURED »» Buy with confidence! Every purchase is backed by our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. If there are any damaged, contact us for a full refund or replacement.
What I Like About WDEFUN Driftwood
- An entirely safe type of wood that hasnt been treated with any potentially dangerous chemicals. It’s also free from other small parasites that can be found in wood.
- Very natural looking and axolotls are typically very curious around it,
- Very durable and will not fade, disintigrate or need frequent replacing.
What I Don’t Like About WDEFUN Driftwood
- Require soaking for around 10-15 minutes prior to first use to remove natural tannins found in the wood.
Marina Decor Polyresin Cave
- Decor cave for your aquarium
- Includes three Amazon sword plants
- Safe and non-toxic
- Natural and realistic appearance
- Measures 5.1-inch length by 11.4-inch width by 7.7-inch height
What I Like About The Marina Polyresin Cave
- Sufficient size for Axolotls of various ages; axolotls can fit inside, turn around or even stay inside,
- Offers a hideaway – a place where axolotls can retreat, find shade, lower stress and rest.
- Made from oxic-free materials that will not leach chemicals into the water,
- Available in packs of two at a discounted price if you wanted another.
What I Don’t Like About The Marina Polyresin Cave
- Due to its size and darkness, it’s hard to see your Axolotls once inside.
- Plants provided may need trimming back or blunting; they have known to be a little sharp which could cause injury to an axolotl.
UNEAK Stacked Broken Barrels
- 3 stacked barrels ornament made of high quality safe / durable resin material that creates separated shelter for your fish to hide
- Hand painted with attention to detail and high quality finish that has no sharp edges for use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums.
- Barrels can be a centerpiece for your tank. They are hollow but not connected internally when placed on substrate. Each barrel provides a comfortable hiding spot / shelter
- This realistic decor is perfect for fish tank decorations for any tank larger than 5 Gallons and is easy for cleaning
- Great for Cichlid, betta, goldfish, GloFish, Pleco (Plecostomus), ghost shrimp, crab, crawfish, crayfish, snails, dwarf puffer, corydoras catfish, loaches, and so on.
What I Like About The UNEAK Stacked Broken Barrels
- Offers a unique look and appearance; its decor that really stands out.
- UNEAK quality check all of their products to ensure there are no sharp edges.
- Arrives in well-protected packaging, ensuring it will arive safely and not damaged.
What I Don’t Like About The UNEAK Stacked Broken Barrels
- While young axolotls will be able to use this as a hideaway; larger and adult axolotls will not likely be able to fit inside.
Smoothedo Tree Set
- Size as Picture Show and Annotation.
- The product uses gypsum/polyethylene/plastic/environment-friendly pigment with stable properties. Under normal circumstances, there will be no discoloration.
- Because it's a brand new product that uses pigment coloring and is shipped sealed in small boxes. So there will be a slight smell. Thanks for your understanding. After washing and ventilating with warm water, the smell will disappear in a short time.
- Due to the particularity of the goods, they may be damaged in transit. If you receive damaged goods, please contact us and we guarantee a full refund or replacement.
- We also have other kinds of aquarium decoration products for sale.Like artificial water plants of various colors and sizes,Artificial stone rockery and artificial driftwood.
What I Like About The Smoothedo Tree Set
- Bright, colorful and fun, with various different styles and colors available.
- Natural looking despite being fake,
- Soft leaves should prevent an axolotl from injuring themselves.
What I Don’t Like About The Smoothedo Tree Set
- Some customers claim the tree is a little unstable unless properly positioned and anchored in substrate.
- This ship consists of 2 pcs (22.50in total length x 14.96in tall x 5.90in wide) with holes that provide a great hideaway / hideout for small fish. HINT HINT! Perfect as a Christmas gift / decorations!
- This freestanding tattern sails sunken fish tank boat is a perfect statement piece / centerpiece & accessory. Great for beta or glow fish house or a pirate ship aquarium decoration
- This xl aquarium decorations / Aquarium ornament creates a unique theme for any 20 gallon fish tank and larger. To any fish it will feel like a castle!
- Made of safe durable resin material with a clean finish, no sharp edges and safe for your fish fins. This boat will be the best purchase for your aqua scape and your fish will thank you for it.
- Hand painted with attention to details. This decor is double sided & can be used in any orientation. The perfect fish tank accessories. Unlike other items on amazon, this is truly a large ship.
What I Like About The Uneak Shipwreak
- A true centerpiece that elevates the appearance of your tank to the next level.
- Very well constrcted, along with being detailed, vibrant and colorful (without leaching).
- There are additional spots to add plants or other decor.
What I Don’t Like About The Uneak Shipwreak
- Large and does take up quite a lot of space.
- On the more expensive side compared to other decorative pieces.
What Decorations Do Axolotls Like In Their Tank?
Axolotls like decorations that can be explored, that they can hide away in, that offer them some form of protection from light and can help conceal them from view.
Axolotls want to feel secure, and the best decorations enable this while offering a great aesthetic.
Hides are ideal as they provide darker areas where Axolotls can retreat from the light.
1 or 2 hides are recommended by exotic experts, for each adult axolotl that you keep.
Can Axolotls Have Rocks In Their Tank?
You can add rocks to an Axolotl tank, although you need to ensure that they will not dissolve or leach any chemicals/metals or have sharp edges; both of which can cause harm and ill health to an Axolotl.
For this reason, it is advised to purchase either ‘fake rocks’, or rocks designed for aquariums, rather than taking natural rocks from outside to add to the tank.
Can I Put Fake Plants In My Axolotl Tank?
You can put fake plants in your axolotl tank, along with suitable live plants too. You just need to ensure that any fake plants are not made from toxic materials and do not have sharp edges which could cut or harm your axolotl.
At the time of writing, there is no evidence that indicates an axolotl has a preference for either fake, or live plants. So it’s ultimately a matter of preference.
You may be interested in: Do Axolotls Eat Plants? [Is This Safe And Suitable Decor?]
Can You Put Bamboo In Axolotl Tank?
You can put Bamboo in an axolotl tank; so long as it has not been treated, painted, etc. That being said, Bamboo is not the most durable and will likely need replacing at some point.
Can You Put Shells In An Axolotl Tank?
You should not put real shells in an Axolotl tank, although you can put fake or artificially made shells assuming they are made out of safe materials.
Real shells are made from calcium carbonate, almost exclusively, which will mess with and alter the water chemistry of your tank.
Equally, real shells contain high levels of salts and large surface areas which will trap decaying matter; both of which will cause issues with the water and the resulting health of your axolotl.
Decor is an essential addition to any axolotl tank.
It will not only completely transform the look and feel of a tank, but can have a significant impact on your axolotl’s health.
But it can go both ways.
So you need to ensure you are buying and installing only safe and suitable decorations.
Ones that are made from safe materials are not sharp at the edges, and that are appropriately sized, too.
Thankfully, the decorations recommended here today all comply.
And they all offer something different; so what is best for you will ultimately come down to personal preference and what you have (or don’t have already)!
Personally, I love the shipwreck.
But in all honesty, they all make for fantastic additions.
And to get the best price and for the convenience of it, then I would suggest heading over to Amazon.
Besides, you can see what other customers have said while you are there 👇
Looking for other equipment or supplies for your axolotl? Then my following guides may be for you:
- Best Tank For Axolotl
- Best Filter For Axolotl Tank
- Best Sand For Axolotl Tank
- Best Pellets For Axolotls
I am a practiced pet owner with decades of experience owning a number of different pets. I am also the main writer and chief editor here at Pet Educate; a site I created to share everything I’ve learned about pet ownership over the years and my extensive research along the way.