Are you looking for a new brush for your Shih Poo? One in which you can groom from the comfort of your own home, while keeping your dog’s coat in peak and optimal condition; free from matts and tangles.
Well if that’s the case then you’ve come to the right place, because today, I am going to be sharing with you the best options for the Shih Poo breed.
So without further ado, onto the recommendations:
Short of time? Here is the recommended brush for your Shih Poo and why:
Enjoy stress-free grooming sessions with your Shih Poo with PetEd’s tug-resistant design, ensuring you and your dog build a trusting bond and enjoy grooming sessions that they actually want (and not run away in fear every time you get the brush!)
- Non-pulling and tug-resistant, so you can brush your dog with confidence and ease, which means you’ll be sure to never cause pain to your dog or damage your dog’s coat again.
- Massaging and gentle, so your dog can enjoy being brushed and fussed, which means you will better bond with your dog and no longer have to fight with them come brushing time. They’ll come to you!
- Fine, angled bristles, so you can access and groom all parts of your dog’s coat effortlessly to remove dirt, debris, and tangles to ensure it looks clean, shiny, and healthy, which means you can walk your dog with pride and never be embarrassed about their coat condition again.
- Hair containing, so loose hair isn’t left flying or left around the room, which means a more hygienic and comfortable home for you to enjoy.
- Large head surface area, so you can collect more hair per brush, which means less time cleaning and a more efficient grooming session
- One-button automatic cleaning functionality, so you can dispose of shed hair effortlessly, which means less time cleaning up and more time doing the things that matter most to you.
- Practical size and weight, so you can comfortably hold, use, store, and take it with you on the go, which means you will be free to brush your dog’s coat regardless of where you are.
- Retractable pins, so you can ensure no damage is done when not in use, which means the brush is much more durable and will last you longer.
- Purposely designed for dogs with curly coats, so you can be confident on even the most matted of coats. Great for doodle and poodle hybrid dogs, such as your Shih Poo!
The Best Brushes For Shih Poos
PetEd Slicker Brush
My standout and recommendation is my very own PetEd Slicker Brush.
This is the brush I personally sourced for my very own poodle-cross, Bailey (a Cockapoo).
I researched the market extensively, spoke with dozens of suppliers, and tested a number of brushes before I decided on this one.
I was looking for a brush that would be best for hybrid-poodle mixes, just like Shih Poos.
One that was comfortable for both myself and my dog alike.
That suited their type and style of coats, that could easily remove matts and tangles.
Below is me actually brushing Bailey with it…
What I love about this brush is that it is able to collect hair while you go.
So by the end, you just need to press the central button, and wipe the hair directly into a bin.
Trust me, this is the brush you need.
- Safe, Gentle, and Stress-Free Grooming: Non-pulling and tug-resistant so you can brush your dog with confidence and ease, your dog can enjoy being brushed and fussed, you will never have to fight come brushing time, and you never feel guilty causing pain to your dog, or damaging their coat ever again. Finally build a trusting bond.
- Effective, Thorough, and Complete Coat Care: With fine angled bristles, so you can access and groom all parts of your dog's coat effortlessly to remove dirt, debris, and tangles to ensure it looks clean, shiny, and healthy, which means you can walk your dog with pride and never be embarrassed about their coat condition again.
- Hugely Time-Saving: With hair-containing features (so loose hair isn’t left flying or left around the room), a large surface head area and one-button automatic cleaning functionality, which means less time cleaning and more time for you to do what you enjoy most.
- Practical, Durable, and Dependable: With retracting pins, a sturdy yet lightweight design, and a built with premium materials, so you can comfortably hold, use, store, and take with you on the go. You will be free to brush your dog's coat regardless of where you are, and no damage is done when not in use, which means the brush is much more durable and will last you longer.
- Purposefully Designed For Dog & Owner: Created with curly coats in mind, you can be confident regardless of coat type/condition. Ideal for doodle and poodle hybrid dogs, including: Cockapoos, Cavoodles, Maltipoos, Bernedoodles, Goldendoodles, Shih Poos, etc.
PAKEWAY Slicker Grooming Brush
The PAKEWAY Slicker Grooming Brush is another option you should consider.
This brush is most often bought and used by cat owners, though it has been known to be used by owners of poodle-hybrid breeds.
- 💗【Cat Brush】Cat brushes for indoor cats are made of high quality stainless steel bristles, soft needles, long-term use without deformation; Needle comb 60 degrees slightly tilted for effective hair collection, massage to protect your cat's skin; can be used for all periods of short / long hair animals, enjoy the fun and relaxation for your beloved pet when combing hair.
- 🗲【Easy and Safe】Cat dog grooming brush head with soft rubber cap to care for pet skin, push plate press, not stuck hair, one key to easily remove hair; plastic material handle, one-handed comfortable operation, non-slip grip feeling, it is stronger, ergonomic structure design combing hair more effort; prevent static electricity design, take care of you and your pet's feelings.
- ➜【Convenient and Quick】Cat comb features self-cleaning function, after combing the hair for your pet, just press the button, the hair will shrink back into the brush, very simple to remove all the hair on the brush, effectively relieve easy knotting, hair, remove floating hair, fluffy open knots and other problems.
- 💦【Easy to Clean】Cat brush with release button is washable all over, easy and convenient, clean and hygienic. Clean and soft, warm and comfortable colors, can be easily integrated into different home environments, convenient storage.
- 🎁【Warm and Comfortable】Cat Grooming Brush comfortable massage, non-slip button, you can easily collect hair, you and your beloved pet are in need of a warm moment of hair combing, your warm and comfortable home also needs a clean and hygienic environment. We also provide you with professional pre-sales and after-sales services. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Coastal Pet Slicker Brush
My final recommendation is the Coastal Pet Slicker Brush.
It’s another option to that of my own, though it is a little larger and heavier.
- Self-Cleaning Dog Brush: Remove hair from the retractable wire brush pins with a push of a button
- Dog Brush for Shedding: Stainless steel pins reduce dog shedding to keep your dog and house clean
- Gentle Cleaning: Stainless steel pins ensure that your dog grooming kit doesn't irritate the skin
- Grooming Comb: This brush for short or long hair has a comfort-grip handle for a sure grip
- Coastal Pet Cares: We design and deliver quality products that people trust for the pets they love
What Type Of Brush Is Best For Shih Poos?
Slicker brushes are considered the best option for Shih Poos.
These brushes are designed with short, even wires that are spread across a flat surface.
They are great for use on coats that do not shed; with those more prone to matting being ideal.
How Do You Brush A Shih Poo?
To brush a Shih Poo you need to slowly and gently brush upward and toward your dog, focusing on each body area separately.
Beginning with the legs, you brush carefully through the coat, being sure to work through any knots and matts you encounter along the way.
Keep brushing these until they naturally break away.
Once you’ve done both legs, proceed to the tummy, back, and then lastly, the face.
You need to be especially careful around the face, being sure not to go too close to eyes or to get the eyelashes (which can be long) caught in the brush.
Ensure you have enough time, and be slow and careful, keeping your Shih Poo relaxed throughout.
Hold them securely yet safely in a comfortable place/position.
I recommend to brush after a long walk, when they are tired and when they are most likely to have dirt and debris in the coat (that you can also brush out).
Brush little and often, as we shall continue with in the section below.
How Often Should You Brush A Shih Poo?
It is good practice to brush your Shih Poo daily, though every other day may suffice.
Ultimately, the more your Shih Poo’s coat is prone to matting, the better it will be to brush more frequently.
Little and often.
This is more likely in Shih Poos with longer coats.
By doing this, you should find that brushing is much quicker too; and there will be less to do each time.
Plus your dog will look better and be more comfortable aswell.
Additionally, you may even find that your Shih Poo’s grooming session at the dog groomer is faster, as a result (when it comes to cutting).
Be sure to brush your Shih Poo from an early age as possible, preferably while they are still a puppy.
This will help them to get used to the sensations and experience, making it easier for you to do.
Getting a good brush for your Shih Poo can be confusing. There are countless styles, options and brands on the market.
So, I decided to take all that away.
I’ve done the research and the testing so you do not have to.
I have found the best slicker brush supplier, and I have made this brush available on Amazon (so you can benefit from Prime delivery).
Get your brush now 👇
- Do Shih-Poo Shed? [Is This A Hypoallergenic Breed?]
- Best Brush For Doodle Dogs [To Banish Mats And Knots For Good]
I am an experienced pet owner with decades of experience owning a number of different pets, from traditional pets like dogs and cats, to the more exotic like reptiles and rodents. I currently own a Cockapoo (pictured) called Bailey. I am also the main writer and chief editor here at Pet Educate; a site dedicated to sharing evidence-based insights and guidance, based on my vast pet ownership knowledge, experience, and extensive research.