Are you looking to buy some new dog treats for your Australian Shepherd? Not sure which ones are the best available or are even the right type to offer to your particular breed?
Besides, there is a never-ending list of treats on the market, and we all know what choice does when it comes to making a decision.
So today, I’d like to introduce you to a select few.
I’d like to show you the most trusted, commonly purchased, most widely consumed, and those that meet strict, and purposefully selected criteria.
But before we explore each option one by one, first let us take a look at the top three picks, side-by-side.
- 1 Best Treats For Australian Shepherds
- 1.1 Cloud Star Tricky Trainers Crunchy Training Dog Treats
- 1.2 A BETTER TREAT Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats
- 1.3 Milk-Bone Trail Mix Chewy & Crunchy Dog Treats
- 2 What To Consider When Buying Dog Treats For Your Australian Shepherd
- 3 How Many Treats To Feed Your Australian Shepherd
- 4 When To Give Your Australian Shepherd Treats
- 5 Finally
Best Treats For Australian Shepherds
Cloud Star Tricky Trainers Crunchy Training Dog Treats
- Cloud Star tricky trainers crunchy - Liver training treats are made in the USA with real chicken liver for the amazing taste dogs love!
- Crunchy texture with no greasy residue.
- Bite-size, low calorie treats - only 2 calories per treat!
- Used and recommended by Professional dog trainers. An official training treat of the akc canine good Citizen program.
- No wheat, corn or soy. No artificial colors or flavors.
What I Like About The Cloud Star Tricky Trainers Dog Treats
- Economical and go a long way; there are 450 treats in the bag!
- Three different flavors available to test with your dog. Although, liver appear to be the most popular flavor,
- High crunch factors makes them more palatable and enjoyable for your dog,
- Stay intact, do not crumble and therefore do not make a mess in your bag/pocket.
- Dogs who are reported as picky eaters typically consume and enjoy them.
What I Dont Like About The Cloud Star Tricky Trainers Dog Treats
- Not suitable for dogs with chicken or poultry sensitivities as they are made with chicken liver.
A BETTER TREAT Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats
- DOGS AND CATS LOVE OUR ALL NATURAL TREATS: Freeze dried salmon are great high value treats. They are non-greasy – perfect for training, as a food topper, or simply a heavenly reward.
- 100% FREEZE DRIED WILD CAUGHT ALASKAN SALMON: Our treats are excellent for pets with allergies, sensitive stomachs, diabetes, or dietary requirements. These treats are grain-free, gluten-free, and raw-diet approved. Wild Caught Salmon is shown to have 68% less saturated fat and avoids chemicals and antibiotics. We demand the absolute best quality salmon - no additives, no funny business, no nonsense.
- HEALTHY SKIN & COAT: Salmon is a natural source of nutrients and fish oil that contain essential fatty acids like Omega 3, Omega 6, Magnesium, Zinc, Potassium, and Vitamins A, B12, and D. These nutrients work together to create healthier skin and shinier coats that shed less.
- JOINT & HEART SUPPORT: Omega 3 and 6 in salmon has been shown to alleviate and prevent hip and joint issues, while supporting a healthy heart.
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED AND MADE IN THE USA: Our treats are sustainably sourced and made in the USA at our FDA regulated facility to ensure human grade quality. Freeze drying is shown to be the best way to preserve natural nutrients with over 61% more nutrients retained relative to dehydration or cooking. Our mission is to ensure only the freshest, healthiest, and best quality ingredients to make A BETTER TREAT.
What I Like About The BETTER TREAT Salmon Dog Treats
- Salmon is the only ingredient; free from other nasties and cheap additives,
- High quality peices of salmon and not the cheap scraps like some inferior brands offer.
What I Don’t Like About The BETTER TREAT Salmon Dog Treats
- As they are freeze-dried require some preperation and soaking prior to feeding,
- This may cause runny stools in dogs with sensitive stomachs.
Milk-Bone Trail Mix Chewy & Crunchy Dog Treats
- Contains (1) 20 Ounce pouch of Dog Treats for dogs of all sizes
- Real beef provides protein and a savory flavor
- Sweet potato offers a natural source of carbohydrates
- Rolled oats for a wholesome fiber source
- Made with no artificial preservatives, corn, or artificial flavors
What I Like About The Milk-Bone Trail Mix Dog Treats
- As a trail mix, the treats in the bag differ. This means your Aussie will never know what treat they are going to get next. This keeps them excited for the next treat.
- Small size makes them ideal for putting in toys like Kongs, Interactive Toy puzzles etc.
What I Don’t Like About The Milk-Bone Trail Mix Dog Treats
- Ingredients include wheat flour and soy flour which may cause issues in dogs with allergies or sensitivities.
What To Consider When Buying Dog Treats For Your Australian Shepherd
When buying dog treats for your Australian Shepherd, it’s crucial that you have some criteria for assessing and comparing products.
The following criteria, among others, have been used to compare and contrast treats on the market; and every product referenced here today scores well against each one.
Ingredients And Nutritional Content
Feeding your Australian Shepherd a high-quality diet is crucial for their health and wellbeing.
Now, where owners often go wrong is they seek out and feed a high-quality kibble, yet fall short on treats and other tidbits throughout the day.
Naturally, the best treats are made from the highest quality ingredients.
Ingredients that offer nutrition, and not just ’empty calories’.
Higher quality ingredients will also mean that your dog can handle, process, and digest them better, too.
Size & Shape
It’s important that you only offer treats of an appropriate size to your Australian Shepherd.
Now, what they can manage depends a lot on their age.
Nevertheless, these medium-sized dogs, do best with smaller treats.
Especially young Aussie pups.
Smell & Flavor
Treats need to be enticing.
Treats that smell and taste good will be far more effective in this respect.
Therefore, getting treats that are made of, or smell/taste of meat/fish are going to reward your Aussie far more than other cheap/grain-based treats.
How Many Treats To Feed Your Australian Shepherd
The number of treats you should give your Australian Shepherd will largely differ dog by dog. Your Aussies’ age, diet, activity levels, and context will all have an impact on how many treats they should consume in any one sitting.
Despite being energetic and lively dogs, Australian Shepherds are not the biggest eaters.
Generally, the average dog of this breed will require between 1½ to 2 cups of dry dog food per day.
So with this in mind, it’s essential that you do not overfeed treats.
You need to ensure they are getting most of their nutrition and food from their scheduled feedings.
Treats, as the name suggests, should be used strategically.
They should also be given in different amounts depending on the context.
A young and playful Aussie going through training will likely consume more than older Australian Shepherds who are mostly inactive.
When To Give Your Australian Shepherd Treats
You should look to offer your Australian Shepherd treats following good behavior or after the desired response to a command/ particular aspect of training.
Treats should be carefully used.
You do not want to use them randomly, or at inappropriate times.
Otherwise, they can actually have a counterproductive effect.
Such as training undesirable behaviors into your Aussie, even if it is unintentional.
So, be sure to provide a treat to your dog only once they have earned, or deserved it.
You are ‘treating your dog’.
And if they are used this way you can expect better behavior and faster learning in response to training.
Maybe your dog has listened and responded to a command such as ‘leave it’.
Perhaps your dog has remained calm after meeting a new person or someone has come home for the day.
These are opportune moments to offer treats.
Australian Shepherds are an intelligent breed that is not too much of a challenge to train.
At least if they are trained properly and consistently with the right techniques.
And if you throw in highly desirable treats into the mix, you should find it much easier.
The three different products mentioned here today are ideal. You really can’t go wrong with any of those suggested.
They are highly nutritional, versatile, cost-effective, and preserve well.
What’s more, they are being used by thousands of other dog owners and have received a significant amount of positive reviews.
If you head over to the product listings on Amazon, you’ll see for yourself.
I am a practiced pet owner with decades of experience owning a number of different pets. I am also the main writer and chief editor here at Pet Educate; a site I created to share everything I’ve learned about pet ownership over the years and my extensive research along the way.