Note: Pet Educate is reader supported. If you make a purchase through a link on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission - at no extra cost to you. This includes links to Amazon.

My Dog Ate Foil-Wrapped Chocolate [What You Now Must Do]

Oh no!

Your dog has eaten foil-wrapped chocolate.

And we all know that chocolate is toxic to dogs.

Or if you didn’t, know you do.

But how serious is this? What you do now need to do?

Well, let’s delve into it.

So, what should you do if your dog has eaten foil-wrapped chocolate? If your dog has eaten foil-wrapped chocolate, If your dog has eaten foil-wrapped chocolate, remain calm, determine the type and amount of chocolate ingested, and immediately contact your veterinarian or a pet poison control center for guidance.

What Will Happen To A Dog That Has Eaten Foil-Wrapped Chocolate?

When your dog consumes foil-wrapped chocolate, there are two primary concerns: the toxicity of the chocolate itself and the potential risk posed by the foil.

They Choke On The Foil

If the foil is crumpled or large enough, it may block your dog’s airway.

Choking in dogs presents as sudden gagging, difficulty breathing, pawing at the mouth, excessive drooling, or a panicked or distressed demeanor.

While there are techniques to help a choking dog, such as the Heimlich maneuver for dogs, they should only be attempted if you are trained and confident in doing so, and only when veterinary care is not immediately available.

They Suffer From Chocolate Toxicity

Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that’s harmless to humans but toxic to dogs.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning can vary from mild to severe and may include restlessness, rapid breathing, muscle tremors, seizures, and, in extreme cases, heart failure.

The size, breed, and health status of your dog, as well as the type and amount of chocolate ingested, are all factors that can influence the severity of the symptoms.

Darker chocolates, for instance, contain more theobromine and are thus more dangerous.

Here’s a rough guide to how much chocolate can be toxic:

  • Less than an ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight can cause poisoning in dogs.
  • Just 1/3 of an ounce of baking chocolate per pound of body weight can cause significant poisoning.
  • Only 0.1 ounce of dark chocolate per pound of body weight may be toxic.

Remember, even small amounts of chocolate can cause adverse reactions in some dogs, and no amount of chocolate is considered truly safe for dogs to consume.

The Foil Causes An Obstruction

While small pieces may pass through the digestive system with no issues, larger pieces or crumpled foil can potentially cause gastrointestinal obstruction.

This can occur in any part of the gastrointestinal tract – from the esophagus to the stomach, or further down the line in the intestines.

A blockage can cause a range of symptoms, including:

  • Vomiting or regurgitating food
  • Decreased appetite or anorexia
  • Constipation or difficulty defecating
  • Abdominal pain or bloating
  • Lethargy or restlessness
  • Changes in behavior, such as increased aggression or depression

These symptoms can appear anywhere from hours to days after ingestion, depending on where the obstruction is located.

In some cases, the obstruction might be “partial,” allowing some food and liquid to pass and causing intermittent or less severe symptoms.


There is the possibility that the chocolate/foil is digested/broken down/expelled without harm.

This is more likely in larger dogs, or healthier dogs, whose digestive systems are more capable.

That being said, ‘the sit and wait approach’ is not advised. At least until a vet advises you that you can do so.

In the meantime, you would still need to monitor your dog closely.

Symptoms can develop hours if not days after ingestion.

What To Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Foil-Wrapped Chocolate?

If you suspect or know that your dog has eaten foil-wrapped chocolate, prompt action is crucial.

Remain Calm

First, stay calm. Your dog will pick up on your anxiety, which could potentially exacerbate the situation.

Investigate and Take Notes

Second, try to determine the type and amount of chocolate your dog has consumed.

This information will be paramount to the actions by the vet.

Do Not Attempt Anything Yourself

Do not try to induce vomiting unless directed to do so by a veterinarian.

Inducing vomiting incorrectly could lead to more harm, including aspiration pneumonia.

Consult A Vet, Promptly

Next, contact your veterinarian or a pet poison control center immediately.

They can provide guidance based on the specifics of your situation and will likely instruct you to bring your dog in for an examination.

What Your Vet May Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Foil-Wrapped Chocolate?

A Thorough Examination

Your vet will start by conducting a thorough examination.

This will likely include a series of tests to evaluate the overall health of your dog and determine the severity of the situation.

They May Induce Vomiting

Once at the vet’s office, they may induce vomiting to clear out any chocolate and foil still in your dog’s stomach, depending on when the chocolate was ingested.

They May Use Activated Charcoal

Activated charcoal may also be administered to help absorb the theobromine and prevent it from entering your dog’s bloodstream.

They May Conduct A Series Of Tests

Blood and urine tests might be conducted to assess organ function and determine the severity of the toxicity.

Depending on the severity, your vet might need to monitor your dog’s heart rate and blood pressure.

They May Conduct X-Rays

In the case of a suspected obstruction due to foil, your vet may opt for abdominal radiographs (X-rays) to locate the foil.

They May Consider Surgery

If a blockage is confirmed, further treatment – including surgery in severe cases – may be necessary to remove the foil from the digestive tract.

Follow-Up Care After a Foil-Wrapped Chocolate Eating Incident

After a scary incident like your dog consuming foil-wrapped chocolate, it’s essential to provide the right follow-up care to ensure your dog recovers promptly.

Close Monitoring

Even after your dog seems to be in the clear, continue to monitor them for any changes in behavior, appetite, or stool for several days.

Symptoms of obstruction or toxicity can sometimes be delayed, so it’s important to keep a watchful eye.

Dietary Management

Your vet may recommend a bland diet for a few days to help soothe your dog’s gastrointestinal tract.

This could include foods like boiled chicken and rice.

Always follow your vet’s dietary recommendations, as abrupt changes in diet can sometimes lead to other gastrointestinal issues.

Medication Compliance

If your vet has prescribed any medications, make sure you administer them as instructed.

These might include medications to control vomiting, protect the stomach lining, or manage any other symptoms associated with the incident.

Follow-Up Vet Visits

Your vet might ask you to return for a follow-up visit to reassess your dog’s condition, especially if there was a confirmed obstruction.

These visits are crucial for tracking your pet’s recovery and addressing any ongoing issues.

Prevention Measures

Keep chocolates and other potentially harmful substances out of your dog’s reach.

Educate your family about the dangers of feeding dogs human food, especially items like chocolate.


Now is the time to act if you have discovered that your dog has eaten foil-wrapped chocolate.

And when I say act, I mean contacting a vet.

Don’t do anything yourself, unless you have been trained to do so.

Otherwise you could cause further complications.

And no matter how little chocolate or foil your dog has consumed, don’t take any risks here.

You’d be surprised at what such a small amount of these can potentially do, if too much times goes by.

Related Guides: