Are you looking for a wooden dog crate? Good choice; these are simply much more aesthetic than your run-of-the-mill metal crate. They’ll be much better suited to your home – especially if you have modern décor! Oh, and did I mention wooden crates are usually much more sturdy and practical too?
The trouble is, as, with any big purchase, it can be a challenge to find the best brand or specific crate that you should get.
Well, I’m here to make that decision much easier for you.
I would like to present to you my #1 recommendation and option from a manufacturer you can quite simply depend on.
I’ll get into all of the bells and whistles shortly, but first, let’s take a look at the best wooden crate currently available on the market, shall we?
Best Wooden Dog Crate – Fable
The Fable dog crate is my recommendation and #1 pick.
Made from premium bent wood, this visually appealing crate will seamlessly fit in with the rest of your furniture (or even be used as a side table).
Handcrafted, optimized for air flow and an easily openable/closeable sliding gate. Plus, its available in two different sizes.
Let’s know look at the specifics, pros and cons of this particular brand before turning to some other options should you want/need to!
- 1 What I Like About The Fable Dog Crate
- 2 What I Don’t Like About The Fable Dog Crate
- 3 Alternatives To The Fable Dog Crate
- 4 What Size Wooden Crate Should I Get My Dog?
- 5 Finally
What I Like About The Fable Dog Crate
How It Looks
First and foremost, the Fabel Dog crate looks exceptional.
It’s a clean, minimal design and with subtle colors will be sure to fit in with most home décor.
Ease Of Use
The Fable Dog crate has been carefully constructed and designed so that it is incredibly easy to use.
The door is on a sliding mechanism and first time construction is effortless.
My favorite design features of this crate include:
- It doubles up as a side table for you to put your drinks, books, or any other items.
- Solid and sturdy,
- Has 7 open holes on each side, and 5 on the back panel; these optimize fresh air flow.
- The crate was designed to mimic a natural den – therefore helping dogs inside to feel calm and less anxious.
Ease of Set Up/Dissembling
This crate can be set up in a matter of minutes.
You get simple-to-follow instructions along with it, too.
Plus if you need to move it, take it with you, or relocate it, you can easily dissemble it and rebuild it again later.
How A Dog Feels Inside
Thera are countless positive reviews and anecdotes of dogs who do really well using this crate.
What I Don’t Like About The Fable Dog Crate
Not Suitable For Chewers
If your dog is a big chewer or has particularly destructive tendencies, this may not be the best option for you and your dog.
Though, this could be said for all wooden dog crates, for that matter.
Cannot Change The Door
When it comes to the doors, you have two options; metal or acrylic.
The metal door provides a more closed off den for your dog, and provides them with privacy, whereas the acrylic is see-through and helps your dog feel included with the rest of the household.
However, these are the only two options and due to the sliding mechanism, you wouldn’t be able to swap them out should this be desired.
No Training Partition
Unfortunately, you cannot get a training partition along with the crate should you want to set this up for crate training.
No Size For Larger Dogs
Currently, only two sizes are available: xs/small and medium.
The former is suitable for dogs weighing less than 25 lbs., and the larger size (M) is designed for dogs between the 25-50 lbs. size range.
At present, there is no size/option for dogs larger than this, or for extra large breeds.
Alternatives To The Fable Dog Crate
If you have a larger dog, or are seeking another dog crate to the Fable, I would like to present to you a few alternatives below.
Unipaws Wooden Dog Crate
Available in three sizes, the Unipaws dog crate is one of the highest selling on Amazon.
The large size can accommodate dogs of up to 70 lbs.
It looks great (also doubles up as piece of furniture) and is well-constructed and sturdy.
- CREATE A PERSONAL SPACE FOR YOUR DOG: All dogs have a strong natural tendency to seek out shelter. If your dog has no place to call his own in your home, he will make attempts to curl up under a table or some other location. A crate provides a personal, den-like space for your dog to call his own.
- BUY A SIDE END TABLE FOR YOURSELF: Use the dog crate as a side end table or nightstand for a cozy life. Place decorations, plants, magazines, books or a cup of coffee on the spacious top. Have leisure time with your furry pet. The maximum support weight of the top is 150 lbs.
- BONUS FEATURES: 1) Come with a soft pet bed to create a comfortable place for your dog to rest; 2) Two entrance design for easy accessibility and cleaning; 3) External and internal 3 locks to prevent your dog from escaping.
- NOTICE: The dog crate is not chew-proof. Recommend for the trained dogs.
- EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT: Give your dog and yourself the best enjoyment. You will not regret your decision. If you have any questions after receiving the product, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us, we will provide our customers with the best buying experience.
Zoovilla Wooden Dog Crate
This wooden crate is available in two different colors; black and white, where the latter appears to be the most popular.
It’s a nice alternative to consider, though it does have prominent metal caging running throughout.
- Panels cover the main components of the dog crate, giving the crate more of an interior-appropriate, furniture like appearance
- Our solid crate top allows personal items to be stored on top, taking full advantage of the surface area with no effect on the crate or pet inside
- Dog cage and crate cover is available in three sizes to accommodate a pet of almost any size
- Includes removable plastic tray that can be pulled out for cleaning purposes
- Minimal assembly required, easy to setup
Precision Petmate Log Cabin Dog House
If you’re looking for a dog crate to place outside, this one by Precision could be the one you are looking for.
Again, it comes in a range of different sizes, plus it is built with an open doorway to make entering effortless for your dog.
Solid sealed wood and stainless steel ensure it remains in good condition even if/and when exposed to the elements.
It also has adjustable feet so you can change the floor elevation and stabilize it should the ground it sit on be uneven.
- Weather-Proof Construction: Cabin dog house's sealed protective coating, raised floor, & slanted asphalt roof provide protection from the elements and keep the cabin comfortable & dry. Assembles in 3 steps.
- Durable: With solid wood & stainless-steel hardware, the outdoor dog shelter is strong & sturdy for long-lasting protection. The outdoor dog house accommodates large dog breeds. Measures 45.5" x 33" x 33".
- Kennels & Houses: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training & exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses & more.
- Precision Pet: Precision Pet offers a variety of heavy-duty products such as wire crates, chicken coops & rabbit hutches that provide pets with a cozy & safe place to rest, nest & feed. Also features litter box accessories & more.
- Just For Pets: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
What Size Wooden Crate Should I Get My Dog?
When it comes to choosing the correct crate size, you need to consider the size of your dog, and their respective dimensions.
To keep your dog comfortable and safe, it is generally advised to purchase a crate that will allow your dog to be able to stand, and turn around.
So, take some measurements of your dog and refer to the sizing specifications of the crate you are considering.
If you want some specific numbers:
- Your crate should be at least 6″/15cm longer than the body length of your dog.
- Your crate should be at least 6″/15cm taller than the shoulder height of your dog.
Equally, you will need to ensure the crate you opt for can support the weight of your dog.
If I were you, I’d opt for the Fable dog crate. To me, it’s a no brainer.
It’s of unrivaled quality and craftmanship, it’s sleek, attractive, and you can literally place it anywhere in your home.
Whether that be in the kitchen, lounge or even bedroom; this crate will suit them all.
And as it can easily be assembled/deconstructed, you could always move it should the need arise.
Plus your dog will be able to relax; it’s designed for this very purpose. Not something all dog crates can do, unfortunately.
Though, one thing I would say is that you need to ensure your dog will fit.
If you have a small or medium breed, it will be perfect for you.
Though if you have a larger breed, you will need to unfortunately look elsewhere (at least until they make a bigger crate available!)
Best Wooden Dog Crate – Fable
- Best Wooden Dog Crate With Sliding Door
- How Long Can A Dog Stay In A Crate? [Experts Recommend…]
- How Long To Let Puppy Cry In Crate [The Ideal Amount Of Time]
- Why Does My Dog Poop In His Crate? [And What To Do About It]
I am a practiced pet owner with decades of experience owning a number of different pets. I am also the main writer and chief editor here at Pet Educate; a site I created to share everything I’ve learned about pet ownership over the years and my extensive research along the way.